Apr 19, 2013
Humboldt State NOW digs into the photographic archives as campus gets ready for the yearlong centennial celebration in the ’13-‘14 academic year. Enjoy a look back every week as HS NOW features historical photos. Photos will also be added to the Scrolling Archive on the HSU Centennial webpage. And be sure to share your own memories and photos from campus at humboldt.edu/100/share.
Built in 1933, the College Elementary School, now Gist Hall, featured a slide on the building’s south side. What’s now a parking lot between the Student & Business Services Building was formerly playground blacktop.
In this undated photo a student cuts out cookies as part of a Home Economics course. Bachelor’s degrees in Home Economics were offered at Humboldt State as early as the 1920s. Considered an applied science, home ec. was offered on campus until 1990.
Lucky Logger, registration ticket in hand, takes part in registration day in this undated photo. In 1958, registration began its march toward automation with the introduction of an IBM punch card data processing system. Even with the punch cards, long lines snaked through the gym as students waited to register in person. Today, students register anywhere they can find an internet connection.
Physics professor Wes Bliven demonstrates the power of compressed gas with his rocket-powered vehicle in this 2008 photo. Engaging faculty in courses like Physics 106 are what sets Humboldt State apart from other schools.
In this aerial view of Arcata, the Humboldt State campus is seen prior to several major changes that came in the years following 1957, when this photo was taken. Note the tennis courts occupying what is now the University Center Quad and Siemens Hall. In the upper portion of the photo, the Michael J. Burns Freeway portion of U.S. 101, which was finished in 1955, can be seen. Prior to the construction of the freeway, Arcata’s G street was the old U.S. 101 route.
“A View from the Hill,” William R. Tanner
“Humboldt State University, The Campus History Series,” Katy M. Tahja
Humboldt State University Library, Humboldt Room