Alumni News Archive
Learn about the amazing things Humboldt State grads are accomplishing. For the latest alumni news and upcoming events, visit the Humboldt Alumni web site.
- Week of: Nov 18, 2007
- Fueling Humboldt’s Economy » Funny, it doesn’t look like something that’s going to save the world, this viscous, green goop. And yet, if you spend just two minutes talking to Brandon Hemenway and Patrick Wiley, the chief officers of AlgaRhythms, you’ll walk away believing that their brand of slime might do just that.
- Week of: Nov 04, 2007
- HSU Welcomes Renowned Geneticist » When he graduated from Humboldt State in 1970, Peter Underhill never imagined that students around the world would one day study his life’s work. Thirty-seven years later, however, Underhill’s research on the Y chromosome has shed new light on the history of human evolution.
- Week of: Oct 07, 2007
- Giving to HSU Shows Big Increases » Humboldt State University is thanking alumni today for an 84% increase in the number of them who made a gift to the institution last year. This information comes from a recently submitted annual report on 2006-2007 academic year giving to the American Council on Education.
- Week of: Sep 30, 2007
- HSU’s Living Classroom » The Campus Center for Appropriate Technology is rebuilding after being moved to a new location, offering another generation of students the chance to learn skills that lead to a greener future.
CCAT’s Grand Reopening was Saturday, September 29th.
- Snyder Maps Future of OAA » Bob Snyder, Humboldt State University’s new second-in-command, names three overriding priorities for the Office of Academic Affairs, the division he leads in his new dual role of interim provost and vice president.
- Week of: Sep 23, 2007
- HSU Freshmen Roster Grows 8% » A record 1,056 new freshmen are enrolled at Humboldt State University for the fall semester, an 8% jump from the 981 posted a year ago. The leap in new transfer students is even higher—15%.
- HSU Library Displays WWII Lore » The current exhibit at the Humboldt State University Library showcases the World War II experience in Humboldt County. One display centers on the book “Original Patriots: Northern California Indian Veterans of World War II” by local author Chag Lowry. The book is a collection of interviews with Northern California Indian veterans. They share their experiences as well as their perspectives of being an Indian in the military during the time of the Second World War.
- Week of: Sep 16, 2007
- HSU Alum Wins Prestigious Geological Honor » Arcata – Humboldt State University Alumnus Robert C. Thomas (’85), Professor of Geology, University of Montana -Western, has received a 2007 Distinguished Service Award from the Geological Society of America, a scientific society founded in 1888 that today boasts nearly 21,000 members in more than 90 countries.
- Fifth Annual Paddlefest Kicks Off Sept. 29 » Eureka - The Humboldt State University Alumni Association and Center Activities will present HSU’s “People-Powered Water Adventure,” the 5th Annual Humboldt Bay Paddlefest, on Saturday, Sept. 29, and Sunday, Sept. 30, on the Eureka Waterfront.
- Week of: Aug 05, 2007
- Alums Push Anti-Violence » HSU alumni Alli Minch (‘92, ‘94) and Byron Turner (‘88, ‘92) are matching up to $1 million in donations for their dream Oasis Project, a violence recovery community to be home-based in Humboldt County that will provide sustained care to women and children who are survivors of domestic crime.
- Week of: Jul 01, 2007
- First Street Hosts Young Alums » Humboldt State University First Street Gallery presents Young Alumni 2007: Works by Recent HSU Graduates, on exhibit July 5 through August 5. The Gallery bills the exhibition as clear evidence of the excellent career preparation HSU provides art majors.
- Week of: May 06, 2007
- HSU Marks 20th Anniv of Grad Pledge » Humboldt State University’s 2007 Commencement on May 12 marked the 20th anniversary of its famed Graduation Pledge of Social and Environmental Responsibility, an oath conceived by HSU undergraduates that has since won the allegiance of young people from coast to coast and as far away as Asia.
- Week of: Apr 29, 2007
- Distinguished Alumni Hailed, Honored » The Humboldt State University Alumni Association recognized three exceptional alumni during its 2006-2007 Distinguished Alumni Awards banquet dinner, April 19, on the Humboldt State campus.
Some 138 guests were in attendance to celebrate honorees Ken Fisher, Wesley Chesbro, and Michelle Kelly, who have each exemplified the great leadership and contribution to the community and environment that has long been part of the Humboldt Spirit.
- Week of: Mar 25, 2007
- HSU Alum Nominated for U.S. Post » Humboldt State University Alumnus Lyle Laverty ('65) has been nominated by President George W. Bush to be Assistant Secretary of the Interior for Fish and Wildlife and Parks. The nomination is subject to United States Senate confirmation. In that post, Mr. Laverty would oversee policy for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the National Park Service, with a combined annual budget of some $3.6 billion and a combined workforce of about 30,000 employees.
- Week of: Mar 11, 2007
- Alumni Assoc. Announces Honorees » The HSU Alumni Association has announced that Wesley Chesbro, Ken Fisher and Michelle Kelly will be honored as the university's Distinguished Alumni for 2007 at a dinner and awards ceremony Thursday, April 19. The event will be held at the Kate Buchanan Room on the HSU campus, cocktails will be served at 6 p.m., dinner is scheduled for 7 p.m., with awards ceremony to follow. The Distinguished Alumni Awards Banquet is the most significant annual event produced by the Alumni Association with a heritage dating back to 1960.
- Week of: Nov 19, 2006
- Alumni Association Seeking Award Nominees » The Humboldt State University Alumni Association is seeking nominations for its 2007 Distinguished Alumni Awards. Distinguished alumni are individuals recognized as leaders in their fields, and outstanding contributors to their community, nation, or Humboldt State University. While membership in the Alumni Association is not required, nominees should have demonstrated continued interest in HSU and the Alumni Association, and should be able to accept the award in person.
- Week of: Oct 22, 2006
- Alum Returns for Concert at HSU » Pianist and Eureka native Ryan MacEvoy McCullough will prepare for his debut performance at New York's Carnegie Hall with an HSU performance on Saturday, November 7 at Fulkerson Recital Hall.
- Week of: Oct 15, 2006
- HSU Alum Weighs Salmon’s Future » Dr. Robert T. Lackey, Humboldt State University alumnus ('67) and now senior fisheries biologist at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency research laboratory in Corvallis, Oregon, is among the editors of a new book published by the American Fisheries Society titled "Salmon 2100: The Future of Wild Pacific Salmon."
- Week of: Oct 08, 2006
- HSU Alum’s Play Premieres Oct. 12 » "Range of Light," a new play by HSU alum Wendy J. Williams ('02), premieres Thursday through Saturday, Oct.12-14, and Thursday through Saturday, Oct. 19-21, at Humboldt State's Van Duzer Theatre. The new curtain time is 7:30 p.m.