Campus News Archive
Get up-to-date coverage of campus events and breaking news.
- Week of: Sep 03, 2006
- Business Dept Hosts Golf Tournament » The first annual HSU School of Business Golf Tournament will take place at the Baywood Golf and Country Club, in Arcata, Friday, September 22, 2006 with a "shotgun" tournament start at 1 p.m., followed by a silent auction and dinner at 6 p.m.
- Adventurers Host Slideshow on Campus » National Geographic photographer Michael "Nick" Nichols and ecologist J. Michael Fay of National Geographic and the Wildlife Conservation Society will host a free slideshow and lecture -- The Last Place on Earth -- Friday, Sept. 22 at 7:30 p.m. in Humboldt State University's John Van Duzer Theater.
- HSU CERT Program to Expand Training » On Sept. 12 and 13 the HSU Campus Emergency Response Team (CERT), in conjunction with personnel from Plant Operations and Housing, will be undergoing training to conduct damage assessments of campus buildings following a major earthquake.
- Week of: Aug 27, 2006
- Fall 2006 Convocation » Opening Meeting for Faculty and Staff
Humboldt State University
Thursday, August 17, 2006
8:30 a.m., Van Duzer Theatre
- HSU Welcomes Record Freshmen Class » Humboldt State University is celebrating enrollment of the largest freshman class in campus history.
- OECD Spotlights Brownfield Redevelopment » Cleanup and redevelopment of local contaminated properties, called brownfields, will be the subject of an intensive workshop co-sponsored by Humboldt State's Office for Economic and Community Development (OECD) on Thursday, September 21, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., at the Wharfinger Building, One Marina Way, Eureka.
- Physical Education Project Update » This summer Humboldt State University, in partnership with Kiewit Construction Company, began construction of the campus's new physical education facility. The first phase of this project - the new building, including work on Union Street and Fieldhouse Lane - is scheduled for completion in October 2007. Phase 2 - demolition of the standing West Gym and Natatorium, installation of a new Redwood Bowl Plaza, and minor renovations to the East Gym - are scheduled for completion by October 2008.
- Week of: Aug 20, 2006
- Possible Pepper Spray Discharge Sickens Student » The third floor of Sunset Hall was temporarily evacuated Sunday night, around 11 p.m., displacing about 80 students for nearly two hours, after a resident suffered nausea and vomiting upon encountering a pungent odor on the third floor hallway. Police and fire officials say student play with pepper spray was likely to blame.
- Week of: Aug 13, 2006
- HSU Launches New Web Design » After six months of preparation, design, and input from the campus community, Humboldt State University launched a brand-new top-level Web site design -- live as of August 15.
- HSU Administrators Visit PE Building Site » Marking the start of construction on its new physical education building, Humboldt State University and President Rollin Richmond hosted a pile-signing ceremony, August 16, at the site of the new building.
- Campus Memorial Planned for Rofes » Dr. Eric Rofes, Associate Professor of Education at Humboldt State University, will be remembered at a community memorial service Friday, August 25, at 3:30 p.m. in Founders Hall Courtyard on the HSU campus.
- Humboldt State University Media Policy » HSU's News & Information Office is here to help you with any media inquiries you may receive or publicity you wish to create. Our office is staffed with knowledgeable media professionals who will work one-on-one with you to craft the right message for your event, book publication, press release and more.
- Week of: Aug 06, 2006
- HSU Hosts 15 Ecuadorian Faculty » Humboldt State University is hosting a faculty development program in English for professors from Ecuador, beginning August 21.
- Week of: Jul 30, 2006
- Campus Hosts English Workshop » Since July 24 HSU has been host to 26 international students and teachers, here to complete a four-week program on teaching and learning English through drama and theatre.
- Students Springboard into Job Hunt » The HSU Career Center recently launched a new online system -- Springboard -- aimed at assisting job-searching HSU students.
- Children’s Center Continues USDA Support » The HSU Children's Center has announced another year of continued support for the USDA Child and Adult Care Food Program, based on this year's new eligibility scale.
- Week of: Jul 23, 2006
- HSU Offers Learning for Over-50 Set » Sign-up for Humboldt State University's popular Extended Education program for adults over 50 is scheduled Sunday, August 20, 2006, from 2:00 to 5:00 p.m. in the Wharfinger Building, Eureka Public Marina.
- Week of: Jul 09, 2006
- Local Economy Soars on Manufacturing » The Humboldt County economy shot up 3.3 percent in May, propelled by an 18 percent surge in lumber-based manufacturing and a 13.2 percent jump in retail sales, according to the composite Index of Economic Activity assembled monthly by Humboldt State University.
- HSU Selects New Chief of Police » Humboldt State University recently completed a national search for a new Chief of University Police. Two-year-interim Chief Tom Dewey has now been officially appointed as head of the department.
- Week of: Jul 02, 2006
- Expected Student Fee Hikes Waived » The new state budget for the 2006-07 fiscal year, signed by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger June 30, eliminates student fee increases that were scheduled to begin this fall.
- LK Wood Blvd On Track for Completion » The LK Wood waterline project is still on track for completion on August 15, according to project management at Oscar Larson & Associates.
- Campus Welcomes New HR Director » Humboldt State University has named a new director of human resources, Mary C. Fischer
- Week of: Jun 25, 2006
- HSU Welcomes New Advancement VP » Dr. Robert Gunsalus, Humboldt State's newly appointed vice president for university advancement, arrived on campus last week, eager to assume his new duties.
- HSU Grads Win Aid Toward Doctorate » Four Humboldt State University graduates have won financial aid in the form of loans from the Chancellor's Office, enabling them to pursue doctorates in a variety of disciplines and compete for teaching positions in the 23-campus network of the California State University system.
- Week of: Jun 18, 2006
- HSU Tops in Efficiency Initiatives » Humboldt State University has won two awards from the Office of the Chancellor, California State University -- one for best practices in paper recycling, the other for energy conservation.
- Burges Assumes Vice Provost Slot » Dr. Jená Burges, currently assistant vice president for academic affairs at Longwood University, in Farmville, Virginia, joins Humboldt State University as vice provost for academic programs and undergraduate studies, effective July 1.
- Trinidad Head Home to Observatory » In cooperation with Humboldt State University, Trinidad Head is now home of the fifth global baseline atmospheric observatory, operated by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Earth System Research Laboratory (ESRL).
- Week of: May 28, 2006
- Peace Corps Fellows Come to HSU » The Peace Corps' Fellows/USA program has announced a new partnership with Humboldt State University's education department, bringing returned Peace Corps volunteers to campus to help young people prepare for college.
- HSU Appoints Assoc. VP of Enrollment » Humboldt State University has announced the appointment of a new associate vice president of enrollment. Mr. Michael Reilly, currently the associate vice president for enrollment management at Central Washington University, will be welcomed to campus on August 1, 2006.
- Week of: May 21, 2006
- UPD Joins Statewide Seatbelt Watch » Joining more than 350 law enforcement agencies across California, the Humboldt State University Police Department (UPD) is intensifying seatbelt enforcement within campus and in the surrounding neighborhoods from now through Sunday, June 4.
- Week of: May 14, 2006
- Moving HSU Residents Give to Charity » The Humboldt State University Campus Recycling Program and Housing Department partnered with the Eureka Rescue Mission and the North Coast Co-op to collect reusable items from residence hall students as they moved out last week, bringing in nearly six tons of reusable material.
- Week of: Apr 30, 2006
- HSU, CR Announce Book of the Year » Humboldt State University and College of the Redwoods have announced their Book of the Year partnership with the inaugural selection, "A Lesson Before Dying" by Ernest Gaines, kicking-off what is planned to be an annual collaboration between the students, staff, and faculty of the two institutions.
- Week of: Apr 23, 2006
- Scientific Bird Cam Put on Castle Rock » The mission was called "Burrow Nesting Nocturnal Seabird." After careful, cooperative planning by the US Coast Guard, US Fish and Wildlife Service, the National Park Service, US Geological Survey, and Humboldt State University, this mission -- installing a breakthrough video-camera system for public and scientific viewing of the state's second largest colony of breeding seabirds, found on Castle Rock near Crescent City, California -- was accomplished on February 23.
- Week of: Apr 09, 2006
- Increased Housing Fees Approved » President Richmond recently announced the approval of a 5 percent increase in fees for students in HSU's residence halls in the coming year. In future years, fees in the residence halls will be linked to the Higher Education Price Index (HEPI) in a manner to be determined by consultation with the Associated Students and the Residence Hall Association.
- UPD Progresses In Rape Investigation » Citing the assistance of a dozen local agencies and the support of the Humboldt State-Arcata community, University Police Department (UPD) Interim Chief of Police Tom Dewey reported today that progress is continuing to be made in the investigation of a rape by a stranger which reportedly happened near the HSU library Tuesday, April 4, 2006 in the evening.
- Week of: Apr 02, 2006
- Career Center Displays Success » The staff of the Career Center has the unique opportunity to facilitate the dreams, hopes and successes of students across all interests, majors, ages, ethnicities, and backgrounds. Acting as a springboard to the future, the staff coaches students in finding internships and jobs.
- Richmond Addresses Campus Safety » Dear HSU Student:
I want to tell you how sorry and concerned I am that a student member of our community was a victim of a rape this week. Each of you is important to the University, and it hurts us all when one of you is harmed. I support our students, faculty, and staff who organized a rally on the quad on Thursday and demonstrated solidarity with the survivor and condemned the use of violence in our community, especially sexual violence. Let me assure you that the University is reconsidering how it tries to protect all students on our campus and that our police, the Arcata police and the Department of Justice are working diligently to try to find the person who committed this crime.
- Week of: Mar 26, 2006
- HSU President Honors Benito Juarez » Acknowledging Humboldt State's longstanding institutional relationship with Mexico's Universidad Autónoma Benito Juárez de Oaxaca, HSU President Rollin Richmond addressed a letter last week to the university's president. The letter, found below, recognizes the March 21 bicentennial celebration of the birth of Don Benito Juárez, the school's namesake.
- Week of: Mar 19, 2006
- Social Artistry Scholar to Visit HSU » Dr. Jean Houston, a scholar and researcher of human capacities hosts a lecture and interactive social artistry workshop at HSU.
- Week of: Feb 26, 2006
- Aerial Photos at HSU Library » The Shuster Aerial Photograph Collection, an exhibit of selected images of the North Coast's burgeoning post-war lumber industry and economic growth, is on display at the Humboldt State University Library through March 13 in the lobby area. It can be seen during the Library's open hours.
- Week of: Jan 22, 2006
- Biz Pioneer Proclaims ‘Revolution’ » Michael Crooke, first CEO of Revolution Living and former head of the famed Patagonia outdoor equipment company, will address "The Revolution of Business in the 21st Century" when he delivers the 2006 Business Ethics lecture at Humboldt State University on Monday, February 6, from 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., in the Kate Buchanan Room, University Center.
Page 11 of 11 pages « First < 9 10 11