Homecoming & Family Weekend Offers Something for Everyone, Oct. 15-17
Oct 07, 2010
With an arts showcase, kayak tours, classes without quizzes and more, Humboldt State has expanded its annual Homecoming & Family Weekend to make this year’s event bigger and better.
Fans cheer on the Lumberjacks during the 2009 Homecoming game.
A full weekend of fun, Friday, Oct. 15 through Sunday, Oct. 17, is planned to welcome alumni, friends and families of Humboldt State. Most events are also open to the community (many require pre-registration or tickets). Details are at humboldt.edu/homecoming.
Friday’s events kick off with the All Alumni Welcome Reception at the Blue Lake Casino’s Sapphire Palace, while the Family & Friends Welcome Reception takes place at Redwood Bowl Plaza. Theater students perform David Henry Hwang’s M. Butterfly in the Van Duzer Theatre at 7:30 p.m., just one of the many performances slated for the weekend.
Also on Friday afternoon is the annual Athletics Hall of Fame Dinner honoring new inductees. On Saturday, another group will receive special recognition at the Annual Golden Grad Brunch, which honors alumni who graduated at least 50 years ago.
HSU’s cheer squad keeps up the energy during the 2009 Homecoming game.
On Saturday, the Balbanis Art Quad becomes the site of the new Arts Showcase, an afternoon of improvisational theater, dance, live mural painting, chamber music and much more. A barbecue and tailgate party gets underway at 4 p.m., leading up to the Lumberjacks’ kick off against Dixie State at 6 p.m. in the Redwood Bowl. A free dance at The Depot wraps up the night, with music—courtesy of DJ Dub Cowboy—starting at 9 p.m.
That’s just a sample of everything planned for Homecoming & Family Weekend. For more information, and to register, visit humboldt.edu/homecoming.
Official Line Up of Humboldt State University’s Homecoming & Family Weekend
Friday, October 15, 2010
- 4 pm Family & Friends Welcome Reception, featuring offerings from local eateries. Redwood Bowl Plaza, HSU
- 4 pm All Alumni Welcome Reception. Reminisce with your old buddies while you enjoy hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. Includes $5 slot play. Blue Lake Casino – Sapphire Palace ($15)
- 6 pm Athletics Hall of Fame Dinner. Baywood Golf & Country Club ($35)
- 7 pm Women’s Volleyball vs. Cal State East Bay. Lumberjack Arena ($5)
- 7:30 pm M. Butterfly – theatre performance. John Van Duzer Theatre ($10)
- 8 pm National Geographic’s film “Climbing Redwood Giants,” featuring the research of HSU Professor Steve Sillett. HSU Goodwin Forum, Nelson Hall East 102.
Saturday, October 16, 2010
- 9 am Humboldt Bay kayak tour. Humboldt Bay Aquatic Center, Eureka ($40)
- 10–11 am Behind-the-Scenes Tours. Human Performance Lab. Vertebrate Museum, Greenhouse, Herbarium, Wildlife Museum, Fish Hatchery, Fire Lab, Seismograph/Rock Collection, Hydrogen Fuel Cell Car, Schatz Energy Research Center, Child Development Lab.
- 11 am Classes Without Quizzes. Lively lectures without the homework or tests. Featuring Professors Lori Dengler (earthquake & tsunami safety) and Justus Ortega (staying active as you get older).
- 11 am–1 pm Golden Grad Brunch. University Banquet Room ($30)
- 11:30 am Humboldt Bay kayak tour (2 hours). Humboldt Bay Aquatic Center, Eureka ($40)
- 1 pm National Geographic’s film “Climbing Redwood Giants,” featuring the research of HSU Professor Steve Sillett. HSU Goodwin Forum, Nelson Hall East 102.
- 2–4 pm Arts Showcase featuring exhibits & short performances in the Music, Art & Theatre buildings, as well as on the Art Quad.
- 4–6 pm BBQ and Tailgate Party – appearances by football Head Coach
Rob Smith & the Marching Lumberjacks. KLSG live broadcast.
Lot A & Gist Hall Lot ($15 for barbecue; Free tailgate)
- 6 pm Homecoming Football Game vs. Dixie State. Redwood Bowl ($8)
- 7 pm Women’s Volleyball vs. UC San Diego. Lumberjack Arena ($5)
- 7:30 pm M. Butterfly. Van Duzer Theatre ($10)
- 8 pm Symphonic Band & Jazz Orchestra concert. Fulkerson Recital Hall ($7)
- 9 pm–midnight Dance and DJ. The HSU Depot.
Sunday, October 17, 2010
- 8 am–1 pm Brunch at the “J”, 3rd floor HSU Jolly Giant Commons ($7)