University Celebrates Outstanding Students 2012-2013
Apr 12, 2013
Humboldt State University saluted its Outstanding Students 2012-2013 at award ceremonies April 11 hosted by President Rollin Richmond, Provost Bob Snyder and Vice President of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs Peg Blake.
Credit: Humboldt State Marketing & Communications
Three seniors are the Outstanding Students of the Year for Outstanding Co-Curricular Contributions. They are:
- Emanuel Delgado, an award-winning senior majoring in Geography and a physical site co-director of the Campus Center for Appropriate Technology (CCAT), is a member of the Geography Intern Program of National Geographic Global Media. Delgado won first prize at the 75th Association of Pacific Coast Geographers Meeting in Olympia, Wash. His poster, “Wetlands Loss of the Mad River Slough, 1870-2001,” topped undergraduate and graduate students from 11 western states. His eight-month research project documented changing marshlands from indigenous Wiyot times to the present. The map series and explanatory text depicted the environmental change wrought by colliding cultures. Delgado also is an Aztec dance instructor with the university’s MultiCultural Center and a Coastal Clean-up Intern. He is recognized for “his love of education, sustainable living and passion for mentoring new students,” which all come together in his volunteer work for CCAT.
- Gabriela García of Fortuna, a Political Science major with an emphasis in globalization, is a Social Justice Summit Coordinator with the MultiCultural Center. She participated in all aspects of summit preparation and leadership, including cross-campus organizing, research, program development, workshops, speakers, presenters and scheduling. García is a volunteer with Nuestra Feria Salud Eureka, serving as a translator for the Spanish-speaking community and assisting with health issues affecting the Latino/Latina community. She is also the recipient of the 2012-2013 Al Elpusan Award for Student Activism.
- Masha E. Melnik is completing dual degrees, a B.S. in Cellular/Molecular Biology and a B.A. in Psychology, plus a minor in Chemistry, all in five years. Last fall, Melnik was a supplemental instruction leader for the genetics course of Professor Mark Wilson, assisting 17 students. Previously she was a teaching assistant to Professor Yvonne Pfingston in American Sign Language I and to Professor Jennifer Taylor in “Psychology of Women.” She also has held multiple research assistantships and was formerly the historian and head of the Academic Committee for the Psychology Club. Melnik was named a Presidential Scholar at Humboldt State 2009-2012 and is a member of the Western Psychological Association and Psi Chi, the International Honor Society in Psychology.
Other awards presented at the April 11 ceremony:
- Academic Excellence in the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences – Hillary E. Wysocki, Communication, Presidential Scholar, 2012 Outstanding Communicator Award
- Academic Excellence in the College of Natural Resources and Sciences – Christopher M. Steenbock, Botany and Ecology, supplemental course instructor, cited for his academic spirit of scientific discovery and dissemination of knowledge
- Academic Excellence in the College of Professional Studies – Ellyn C. Bass, Psychology, lab management, conference posters; Marissa A. Graham, Liberal Studies Elementary Education, Student California Teachers Association, Raven Project fundraiser, Jude Children’s Research Hospital fundraiser, Arcata Elementary School fundraiser, teaching assistant, student assistant, tutor
- Best Individual Artistic Achievement, Visual & Performing Arts – Justino E. Perez, Music Composition, Music Club President, music computer lab manager, volunteer tutor
- Best Undergraduate Research Project – Alexander C. Bippus, Maria J. Friedman, Botany, plant fossil record
- Excellence in Intercollegiate Athletics – Kaitlyn E. Shanle, Women’s Crew Team
- Al Elpusan Award for Student Activism – Gabriela Garcia, Political Science Globalization, activist, founder of FREE, Finding Resources and Empowerment through Education
- Best Poster Presentation to a Professional Association – Ryland J. Karlovich, Geography, presentation to the California Geographical society Annual meeting, Geographic Society Club officer
- Outstanding Contribution to a Campus Club, Program, or Organization – Thomas J. Takahashi, HOP, HSU Ambassadors, Clubs & Activities, Greek life
- Excellence in Community Service – Alexis F. Grant, Sociology, Sociology Student Association, AmeriCorps volunteer
- Excellence in Sports Clubs – Aimee R. Gant, Men’s Crew Team, coxswain
- Outstanding Contribution to an Associated Students Program – Matthew J. Lutwen, AS Legislative Vice President, AS Council Chair
- The Brian Lorensen Residence Life Staff Award – Clay A. Gallardo, three-year Community Advocate, AS representative of the College of Professional Studies
- Best Professional Publication – Allison W. Bronson, co-author of an article in International Journal of Plant Sciences about the fossil record and natural history of an elusive group of fungi
- Best Professional Presentation – Christa R. Unger, Botany, Botanical Society of America annual meeting, moss fossils
- Club Advisor of the Year – Adrienne Colegrove-Raymond, ELITE Scholars Club for students of non-traditional family or background
- Patricia O. McConkey Outstanding Graduate Student Award for excellence in graduate studies – Esperanza L. Alcazar, Francine A. Arroyo, Lora J. Bristow, Kerry E. Leslie, Sara K. Obenauer
- Jennifer Alejo, named a 2013 Newman Civic Fellow by Campus Compact, the national coalition of almost 1,200 college and university presidents dedicated exclusively to campus-based civic engagement.