Aug 19, 2016
HSU Facilities Management has been busy on a number of projects this summer to improve safety, convenience, and learning opportunities on campus. Returning students may notice some changes on campus, and all students should benefit from the improvements.
Some projects will continue to impact parking and other campus functions as they are completed.
Among the larger repairs are seismic repairs to the University Library and Theatre Arts building, funded through the CSU system. The Library project, focused on seismic retrofit of the building as well as deferred maintenance and code compliance issues, is in the design and construction stage. There will be a period of heavy construction that will impact the Library staff parking lot. The project, which will be finished in about a year, will see replacement of the roof and painting of the exterior, permanent bracing of the library stacks, seismic retrofit of building columns and exterior connections, as well as improvements to the covered walkway and building entry.
The Theatre Arts building seismic retrofit project is now in the planning and design stage. There will be a tremendous amount of work over the next several months and the University expects to enter construction following the academic year.
HSU is also working on a 1,900 square-foot addition to the Schatz Energy Research Center, and the replacement of two 20,000 gallon seawater storage tanks at the Telonicher Marine Laboratory in Trinidad.
Other projects completed or underway include:
· Redwood Bowl Track Repair: This project repaired the track, which was closed last spring due to deteriorating conditions. This will allow the University to utilize the track for one more year before full replacement next year.
· Natural Resources building: This project fully renovated NR203 expanding its potential as a classroom and a 24-person Geographic Information System lab.
· Redwood Sciences Lab fiber connection: This project will extend the campus fiber network to the Redwood Sciences Lab to support an HSU-based GIS institute.
· Green & Gold Room updates: Replaced carpeting and painted, updated entryways, and improved sound in the room.
· Children’s Center: This project will improve playground areas and accessibility at the 10th and 14th street Children’s Centers.
· Paving: Major pavement repairs were made at Harpst Street and the parking lot by Campus Apartments; minor repairs were also completed at the parking lot behind Founders Hall. The City of Arcata is currently completing paving improvements at Granite Avenue.
· University Center flooring and wall renovation: This project replaced carpeting in the Depot, UC Banquet Room, and Karshner Lounge and also refinished baseboards and wainscoting in the Kate Buchanan Room. Later this winter, HSU will also repaint and replace all furnishings on the dining of the Depot, and replace all carpeting in the Kate Buchanan Room.
For more information, contact HSU News & Information at (707) 826-3390.